Monday, January 3, 2011

Reflections


The holidays somewhat consumed my life this season, leaving very little time for blogging.  Between last minute client requests, Christmas shopping, packing to head up north and travelling, I have barely had a moment to myself.  But not to worry, I am back!

 I thought I would take a moment, to reflect on why I do what I do.  I love designing the spaces that people live and work in because it is in these places where all of the important things happen...the memories, the benchmark events in our lives.  I like to help set the stage with interiors that people love to spend time and invite others into.  I thought I would share a personal story, which really made me reflect over this past holiday.

I consider myself lucky to have spent a great deal of my time over the past week or so with great friends and dear family.  In particular, there was a conversation I had with my grandfather (Noni) that struck a cord with me.  At the wise old age of 95, he told me how frustrating it is for him to no longer own and live in his own home.  He and my grandmother (Mimi), who will be celebrating their 70th wedding anniversary in May, were forced to sell their home a few years back and move into an assisted living facility.  The everyday work it takes to keep up, let alone move around a large home simply became too much.  This was a family decision...meaning that if my grandfather had his way he would still own that home and still be pulling out his1950's electric saw to trim the hedges each spring.  He said this to me, quietly, as all of my aunts, uncles, cousins, parents and husband fluttered about the function room we rented for Christmas. 

 I realized that it wasn't merely an old man's grumblings, nor was it the tangible house that he misses, but rather the memories that took place in that house, the holidays, the family dinners.  My fondest childhood memories took place in that house.  I could draw a floor plan of every room in that house from memory and could tell you the best places hide, curl up, do a cartwheel, set up a runway to parade some 50's fashions, the list goes on...  My grandfather built that house and I know that he took painstaking lengths to plan each nook, keeping in mind that it would be a place for all to gather and be together for years to come.  I know he misses this house and so do I, but I know that it served as a stage for about 50 years of amazing memories for my family.  We talked a little more and what came out of it was that what truly matters is who you are with and the memories you hold. 

I love helping others set a beautiful, comfortable, eclectic stage for them to live out portions of their lives.  Whether it is a temporary home, a starter home, an office space, or a dream home where you hope to stay forever, I think it is very important to make it a place you love spending time in, and will look back on fondly.
Happy 2011 to all!  Looking forward to creating lots of beautiful spaces and memories this year!

Always,
C (&M)

3 comments:

MAL said...

What a lovely post; My grandfather gave me an old sailing print that has been hanging in his wood shop for over 50 years, and had a very similar conversation with me reminiscent of past memories in a home that has been in our family for a couple generations. Very touching post, Happy New Year!

Martha said...

What a nice post--and meaningful to me as we prepare to sell my mother's house of 50 years (where I grew up). Happy new year (to the kitties too!) --Martha from 50kittens

Unknown said...

I think I remember a few of those hiding places, too. :)