Tuesday, December 14, 2010

RED, Right, Return

View onto Union Square
This time of year we see a lot of red because of the holidays and this weekend, during a trip to Manhattan, I became particularly inspired.  Red was all over the the place this weekend as the Santacon phenomenon took hold of East, West and Greenwich Villages and spilled out onto the streets.  What is Santacon you ask?  Tens of thousands of people dressed up as Santa moving from bar to bar in hoards.  As I strolled along with my husband and several friends there was no place to get a cocktail or bite to eat without being bumped into by a hundreds of Santas.  You think this would have dissuaded me from the color red...but not quite.


From Elle Decor

I love the walls of this Manhattan living room painted in Benjamin Moore’s Million Dollar Red.  It's orange undertones make it less in your face and give a this room, at the residence of Estée Lauder executive, John Demsey, a sophistocated look.  I love it paired with the black and white photographs to really make it pop.




“A great way of experimenting with any new color is to introduce it in a small way: a bright-red cushion or lamp shade, red trim or piping on a throw. A glossy red satin or velvet will have much more impact than a matte cotton muslin.” —Tricia Guild, Elle Decor




I couldn't resist but snap a photo of my old red brick apartment building, One Astor Place.


Coincidentally enough, I realized that even I added a bit of red by donning my favorite red dress (and grandmother's vintage leopard fur coat) to help celebrate a friend's birthday in Manhattan.  I must admit I love the way wearing red makes me feel and although I tend to keep it a little more subtle in my interiors, I think it sets a wonderful aura for a room.  I tend to keep it out of dining rooms because in my mind that has been very overdone.  I like to put it in a living room or den.

Hope you are all enjoying this holiday season!

C(&M)

No comments: