Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Conquering a Blank Wall

This evening I decided to tackle a project that has long been on my home's to-do list: creating a striking grouping of various framed items to hang on our large living room wall.  When we first bought and moved into our house my darling husband and I had a bit of a "discussion" about what got put up on the walls.  He becomes very attached to pretty much everything he/we have ever owned and I am more of a, donate and move on girl, when something really does not fit anymore.  After I shot down his idea to hang all of our college and grad school diplomas in the living room, I decided it was better to leave the wall pretty much blank for a while until I had the time to embark on the project of my vision for our large wall (and until we found a place for those diplomas...in a dark corner of the basement and his office). 

Tonight I have decided to attack this wall because I feel the creative juices flowing!  I am planning on putting up a compilation of framed items of various sizes and made with assorted media.  I love to display things(especially on the walls) that evoke fond memories for those who live a home.  I also think it is important to put up pieces that are interesting/ and beautiful for those who visit a home and maybe spark a discussion...thus the term "conversation piece."  I say that but mean that but I think it is important for a room to have a flow and feel like everything just clicks in place, not having just one item steal the show. 

So far here is what I am thinking about including in my collection of items:
A photo I snapped on our summer holiday to VilleFranche-sur-Mer

Blown up photographs of scenery, one will most definitely be this beach scene from our trip to the South of France this summer.  I adore the vibrant pops of color (also looks very cool in sepia) This scene just looks so vintage to me.  It could also be because it reminds me of these postcards and photo of my grandmother on a beach in the 60's.  These are the some of the things that I treasure and love to display (I have this displayed in my dressing room).
A photo and postcards my grandparents sent to my mother from a vacation in 1967


I also want to include a couple paintings (Pop Art) that I am currently working on painting now.  I will be sure to put up photos of these when I finish them!

A Brunschwig & Fils fabric

Finally, I am framing some fabrics and wallpapers that I happen to come across and really love.  I just had to have this (sort of headless) peacock, it's funky and colors are amazing!  I loved the way the piece of fabric fell in this frame, it made it more interesting, not having one full bird.  Now I just need to iron it :)



I will post photos of the finished project SOON!  Off to work on it...

Good night!


C (&M)









No comments: