Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Christmas Music Already?

Living further down south than I have in quite some time, I find my holiday spirit kicks in a bit later than it used to when I resided in the Boston area.  Today, however I had some work to do for clients and then some projects to get done around the house and set my Pandora to a holiday station, with my inspiration artist being holiday-themed Mariah Carey.  I laughed aloud when 'This Gift,' sung by 98 Degrees came on.  Crazily enough this got me thinking about how to decorate my own home and several client's homes for the holidays...

I often find holiday decorations to be dated, over-the-top/tacky, or non-existent.  Don't get me wrong though, I really like a little holiday spirit in a home.  I think holiday decorations add warmth and festivity and provide a chance to freshen up a room that looks the same for the other 48 weeks of the year.  I say, take advantage of this time to have some fun, afterall, you only have to love it for a month or so! 

Let's start with outdoor decor.  Here especially, I find it is to be all or nothing.  I envision either lots of tacky decorations or just a sad front step with barren trees and a few stray unraked leaves from the fall.  My advice for decorating, if it blows up, resides in a snow globe, has it's own Christmas special on tv, is plastic, or flashes, bring it to your local Salvation Army to donate. 
Fun to laugh at on a holiday lights tour with the fam, but not even one of these items is okay for your own yard.

In my opinion, white lights are the ONLY way to go.  I learned this from my mother at an early age.  I have expanded my horizons slightly and think a single color strand of lights in a funky shade (like turquoise) can be fun on a faux white tree in a mod NYC loft, but my days of living in an overpriced, yet amazing Manhattan spot are over...but I digress.  I think simple yet sophistocated is the way to go inside and outside when decorating for holidays.  You want to compliment, not overpower the beauty of your home with it's existing furnishings and accessories. 
A tasteful display that makes natural materials festive with ribbon.  Simple and pretty. From Paris in New York

 I am a big fan of utilizing natural materials such as fresh boughs of greenery (particularly juniper because of the greenish blue berries, but beware because it is toxic to pets) and bare branches to decorate a doorway, entry hall, fireplace mantle or dining room table.  Adding a touch of fabric or ribbon is all these pieces need.  Stay away from fake greens and anything plastic.  Adding a couple special tin or glass ornaments can be a nice touch.... Speaking of ornaments for a mere $20k you can purchase a couple larger than life gilded ornaments to really make a statement in your neighborhood, on sale now at One Kings Lane (but seriously this is a great site to join, it's like Gilt Groupe/ Haute Look for designer home stuff). 
"If your idea of holiday finery is more Rockafeller Center than inflatable reindeer, why not go for the gold?" 


 Just remember once New Years Day rolls around please, for everyone's sake, take down the decorations.  Year round holiday decorations are NOT okay and you don't want your neighbors giving you dirty looks.

Until Next Time,
C (&M)

No comments: