Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Interior Designers in Film

I watched the new Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (corny sequel title, I know) this weekend on Netflix and then followed it up with the original Wall Street movie, which I had never seen.  After getting past the ridiculous, egotistical one-liners spewing out of both Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen's mouths (reminiscent of Charlie's recent quips, see: http://www.livethesheendream.com/) in the original, I couldn't help but get caught up by Darryl Hannah's character, Darien Taylor.  Caught up, not because of her acting or design prowess, those were both quite terrible, but because she played an interior designer and being one myself, I got to thinking how rarely interior designers are portreyed in major motion pictures.  In this particular movies she revamped Charlie Sheen's Manhattan apartment with all of the 80's flair that people have been ripping out of their residences ever since.  I must admit it was fun watching this movie just to gag and poke fun at the decor.  Sorry Darrien... I mean Darryl.


And the Oscar for Best Actress goes to... Sandra Bullock for playing (interior designer) Leigh Anne Tuohy in the 2009 semi-biographical sports drama, The Blind Side.  In the movie, Leigh Anne is portreyed as being the stereotypical overly decorated, traditional Southern (Tennessee) designer.  However, in a quote from the real Leigh Anne on Brent Wood Homepage, she said, “You think I would have drapes like that in my own house?  Those are the ugliest drapes I have ever seen.”  (Pictured below) I have to agree with you there, Leigh Ann...




Regardless of how I may criticize the set designs, I must admit that I enjoy watching on-screen portreyals of what I do for a living day in and day out.  I find it is often either glamorized (of course, this is Hollywood afterall) or trivialized as a perfect side job for the lady who lunches.  If only my job were that easy! Not really, though, I love it just the way it is...MOST days anyway ;)


C(&M)

No comments: